Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Frozen Pizza Edition


Frozen Pizza Blog by Adam Demers

Rating
1. Freschetta
2. Digiorno
3. Tombstone
4. Red Baron
5. Tony's
6. Roma's
7. Tostino"s
8. Jack's

Tombstone Original: Classic Sausage
Cost: $2:50
Date: 11/09/09

Growing up as a kid the Tombstone brand pizza was my families frozen pizza of choice so it comes natural that now that I’m living on my own that its would be the brand I buy. Tombstone pizza is good because it has all the ingredients that make up a pizza and doesn’t taste like cardboard. In fact, overall for the price and the taste Tombstone as of now will continue to be my frozen pizza brand of choice.

Rating: 4 slices out of 8.

Totino’s Crisp Crust Party Pizza: Combination
Cost: $1.25
Date: 11/30/09

With a frozen pizza this cheap I was worried I was going to basically be putting myself through torture by eating it. I think this pizza benefited from low expectations, very low low expectations. I could go on about how low my expectations were, but that has nothing to do with the pizza. The pizza was bland with a bit of crunch and it only tasted really horrible for the last two slices. It basically on the same level as Roma and Jacks and it’s cheaper so it has that going for it.

Rating 2 slices out of 8.

Roma Original Pizza: Sausage
Cost: $2:00
Date: 11/16/09

If I had to describe Roma’s Pizza I say the taste falls between blah and meh. Basically, I found the pizza tasteless and after eating 3 slices couldn’t really describe anything about the taste. The pizza is very thin in it overall presentation and lack any real ingredients that are notable. In the end I eat the whole pizza just because that’s what I trained my body to do, but I had no real motivation to keep eating after first slice.

Rating: 2 slices out of 8.

Jack’s Original: Sausage Pizza
Cost: $2:88
Date: 11/12/09

If there is a list of ingredients needed that are required to be considered a pizza, Jack’s Original is just barely meeting the minimum requirement. I love to describe the pizza crust to you but it was so thin I barely noticed it. I think a cracker would have been thicker than this crust. The cheese just barely covers the pizza and the sausage was just on the pizza to resemble a meat product. Overall I felt worse after ending the pizza and I won’t be revisiting the Jack pizza brand. Still it was eatable and that’s me being optimistic about the pizza.

Rating: 2 slices out of 8.


Red Baron Classic Crust: 4-Meat Pizza
Cost: $4:25
Date: 11/29/09

Red Baron brand is the standard bar in frozen pizza industry. I think the brand is great across the board in crust thickness, quality in toppings, and tasting sauce. Red Baron is anything super fancy, but you’re guaranteed to get a quality frozen pizza for the price.

Rating: 4 slices out of 8.

Tony’s Original: Meat-Trio Pizza
Cost: $2.12
Date: 11/18/09

This is the first frozen pizza that has been a pleasant surprise. I have never had a Tony’s original pizza before, but my opinion of Tony’s before had was that it was a cheap pizza that was just trying to hide its bad taste inside a box. Side note: Most frozen pizza brands that use a cardboard box packaging have better tasting pizzas. Instead I’ve discovered that the box was hiding a surprising amount of flavor. The pizza had a thick crust for a frozen pizza that worked as a great base for the spices blended in with the pizza sauces giving each bite a pleasant zing of taste. With Tony’s cheap price I can definitely see myself getting more Tony’s Original in the near future.

Rating 4 slices out of 8.

Freschetta Naturally Rising: Canadian Style Pizza & Pineapple Pizza
Cost: $5.00
Date: 11/13/09

The first reason I wanted to try this frozen pizza was I had never seen a Hawaiian frozen pizza and I had to try it. I was in for a pleasant surprise by this pizza and the Freschetta brand in general. In my opinion Freschetta is the all-natural alternative to Digiorno. Freschetta brand pizza has a great rising crust and excellent cheese sauce combo, but what makes this pie really special is the fact that the fruit is completely fresh and doesn’t feel frozen at all. I highly recommend the Freschetta brand as a slightly cheaper alternative option to Digiorno.

Rating: 5 slices out of 8

Digiorno Rising Crust: Itlalian Sausage Pizza
Cost: $5.75
Date: 11/18/09

It’s easy to understand why some folks would think that a Digiorno Pizza is delivery. In my opinion a Digiorno pizza is the highest quality of frozen pizza one can find. My problem with Digiorno is the cost of the frozen pizza. I buy frozen pizza as a cheap pizza alternative to have at home, but I can get a cheaper and larger pizza from Little Caesar that is Hot-N-Ready. All that taken out of the equation this is a great pizza frozen or unfrozen.

Rating: 5 slices out of 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment